A method which one choose to educate the kids at home instead of sending them to a public or a private traditional school.Homeschooling become the choice of the parents for a variety of reasons like dissatisfaction with the school structure, method of learning, educational options, beliefs etc. . If we have to compare the home school with the traditional schooling , this includes the freedom of setting up customized education, flexible schedule, and the ability to capitalize the kids special talents and interest.It allow us to have a complete control over the kids education and also allows children to learn on their own time
In essence, a home school student never misses hings because anything can be completed at virtually any time. We can narrow focus on the topics which least interest the kids and make the broad focus on kids area of interest.
Making the decision to home school does seem like an easy decision for us
We do not need an educational degree to home school the kid. Parents determine what is to be learnt and how it is to be taught following some guidelines and regulations for themselves.
We considered all these factors while making this decision..
- Reason for homeschooling- Don’t rush into the decision to home school as our friends are homeschooling or because it looks something different. We must have a personal conviction and commitment that will take us along the homeschooling journey where we have to pull our hairs out for sure some days.
- Time commitment- To give the children the kind of education they want we should be ready to plan on being home most of the time. If we want to home school and work outside plan accordingly with the caretakers and the spouse to make it work successfully.
- Understand the Pro’s & cons of homeschooling
- Interest of both parents –Don’t decide upon if both parents are not in a mutual agreement in homeschooling the kid. One parent may be the one who is preparing everything for the kid but after a certain period of time for sure the support of the spouse is needed both emotionally and financially.
- Understand the homeschooling laws inyour location(country or state)
- Need more patience and perseverance- Homeschooling needs careful planning and willingness to go long distance. As the time goes on we will be challenged, questioned and discouraged. There may be days when we will doubt yourself, our decision and choices. Be ready and develop the patience to overcome all this.
- Be Open to learn-Talk or meet with homeschooling families in person or through online. Try to be part of some homeschooling networks in your area which may help in choosing curriculum, resources, laws of the state and group activities. If we are moving from a regular schooling to homeschooling make the transition very slow giving time for the kid to understand and accept.
- Curriculum-Selecting a homeschooling curriculum is one of the overwhelming tasks if we wanted to do. One of the biggest mistake we make is that getting too tied either too a curriculum or a schedule. Be flexible but so not so flexible that we never do school. Don’t miss the opportunity of having more free learning.
- Don’t fall into the comparison trap- Homeschooling is completely different from the entire model most of us have come up. Rest of the society and people in the family around us seems to think us like we are ruining our kids.And most importantly every child is different.